The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is urging healthcare providers to reduce the use of opioides in favor of safer treatment methods such as physical therapy for most non-cancer- related chronic pain. If you experience any of these symptoms, it might be time to talk to your physician about physical therapy to easy or eliminate:
- Sharp Pain
- Constant Pain
- Ineffective Pain Medication
- Loss of Movement and Mobility Due to Age or Injury
We all age, and with age comes changes to our health, the way we feel, move and live our lives. Review the Five Primary Reasons to consider Physical Therapy for you or a loved one along with regular in-home care.
- Primary Reason 1 – Improve your balance and prevent falls.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, persons 65 years and older account for 30% of unintentional falls in the U.S. each year. Injuries a loved one receives in a fall can result in death, disability, and nursing home admission
- Primary Reason 2 – Manage age-related issues. People who are physically active—even later in life—are less likely to develop memory problems or Alzheimer’s disease, a condition which affects more than 40% of people over the age of 85.
- Primary Reason 3 – Improve mobility. Research shows that improvements in strength and physical function are possible in your 60s, 70s, and even 80s and older with an appropriate exercise program. Progressive resistance training, in which muscles are exercised against resistance that gets more difficult as strength improves, has been shown to prevent frailty.
- Primary Reason 4 – Recover from a stroke. Stroke is one of the leading causes of long-term adult disability, affecting approximately 795,000 people each year in the U.S. The very word “stroke” indicates that no one is ever prepared for this sudden, often catastrophic event. Stroke survivors and their families can find workable solutions to most difficult situations by approaching every problem with patience, ingenuity, perseverance, and creativity. Early recovery and rehabilitation can improve functions and sometimes remarkable recoveries for someone who suffered a stroke
- Primary Reason 5 – Diabetes Management – For people with diabetes, it is essential to maintain overall good health through exercise as it can help effectively control their blood sugar allowing them to have a better quality of life.