According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration senior drivers 65 and older accounted for 18% traffic fatalities in 2016. While getting older does not always mean it’s time to take away the keys, there are four warning signs to keep in mind with senior drivers.
- Are they getting lost while driving places they should be familiar with?
- Do you see vehicle damage such as dents or scratches?
- Have they shared stories of near misses or small fender benders with you?
- Has a medical professional suggested it may be time to stop driving?
If you answered yes to one or more, it might be time to talk with your loved one. Here are Five Primary Reasons to consider a caregiver for transportation services.
- Primary Reason 1 – Health Declines – According to Science Daily, seniors experience double the risk of depressive symptoms, along with declines in cognition and physical functioning when older adults stop driving. Many times it’s because they become shut-in and do not have a way to continue their normal routines outside of the home. Call us today and learn how we can assist you in keeping your loved ones active and living in the outside world.
- Primary Reason 2 – Loss of Social Circles – Once seniors stop driving, there is a 51% chance of a decrease in social circles with friends and relatives. With a transportation caregiver, we will make sure your loved one can meet up with friends for lunch, a game of cards and the stimulating conversation just like they did before.
- Primary Reason 3 – Driving makes them nervous and overwhelmed – Driving outside of one’s comfort zone can cause anxiety, distraction, and disorientation. A sure recipe for an accident! Keep your loved ones safe, so they don’t get lost on familiar streets, run out of gas because they didn’t pay attention to gas levels or become overwhelmed when trying to find a parking spot.
- Primary Reason 4 – More likely to move into a long care facility – Seniors who lost their license were 5x more likely to move into a nursing home or assisted living community. With our help, we can keep seniors mobile, active, and out of institutional living.
- Primary Reason 5 – Your Piece of Mind – You can’t possibly do it all, and that’s o.k. Primary Homecare is here to provide you with reliable transportation that you can count on. We offer excellent non-emergency medical transportation throughout Mid-Michigan 24/7. Contact us today to get a free quote for local or long distance transportation.
For “How to talk to a loved one about unsafe driving click here.